4.30.2009

A Troubling Obsess-shin

I've always been into Asian.

There's something about it -- the electronics, the cars, the...excuse me a minute. The food. I just can't get enough.

At least, that's what I thought. As it turns out, enough for me comes after being brought out about 10 plates of delicious, grilled meats and all the sides I can wolf down.

Sometimes, my obsessions get me into trouble. But this wasn't one of those times, since this is just business as usual at Shin, a Korean BBQ restaurant that, from the outside, looks like it was picked up by a tornado that tore through the Valley and was plunked down on the corner of Selma and Wilcox in Hollywood.

Shin, as it turns out, fits right in with its raucous Cahuenga Corridor (sorry -- I hate that term too) neighbors, except for a few key points. First of all, you can find parking near it. Secondly, with the exception of Citizen Smith, it's the only place within shouting distance that's not filled with completely horrible people and knob-jockeys. That's a plus where I come from. And third, the food. My God, the food.

The Vitals: Shin is the first place up for review on this site that tends to stretch the definition of Happy Hour, in that it's not your typical 4-7pm cocktails-and-apps kind of thing. Instead, they have a $25 all-you-can-eat special -- and believe you me, I tested the bounds of their policies. Apparently, this special started off as a Sundays-only thing, but I imagine the traffic on Sundays was enough to convince the owners to make it every day. Likely, this will turn out to be a wise decision, because only the proudest, bravest few can possibly eat $25 worth of meat. They also have various drink specials, including $1 sake shots. In all, this might not be the place to grab a drink and a small bite, but full meals with big groups need the Happy Hour treatment too.

Go in. Sit at the bar. Ask for Al. And wear your elastic-waisted pants.

1 comment:

  1. i hear the bartender really changes it from a happy hour to the happiest couple of hours of my life. that's what i've been told. can't wait to see for myself.

    ReplyDelete