7.20.2009

Laissez les Bon Temps Roulez!

Name: Bourbon Street Shrimp
Coordinates: 10928 W. Pico Blvd., 90064
Neighborhood: Walking distance...I mean, West LA
Happiest Hours: Daily, 5-8pm

Let me be frank about something up front. I've never been to New Orleans, and I'm in no particular hurry to arrange and execute my inaugural visit.

While I can certainly appreciate the history of the place -- French Colonialism, Battle of New Orleans, Crazy Jim Garrison, The Vampire Lestat -- it just doesn't appeal to me. I'm sorry to anyone who might be from there, and I certainly don't mean any disrespect in light of the city's many problems -- crushing poverty, a high murder rate, or proximity to unfortunate weather. Although I think living in a city that's below sea level carries with it a certain amount of inherent risk, I feel for those savaged by Hurricane Katrina and those who feel like a piece of their culture was lost as a result of said hurricane. Hell, I even don;t mean to offend those people who love to pull up their shirts to get beaned in the face with plastic beads. All I know is that NOLA, Mardi Gras, JazzFest, and malarial heat and swamp denizens just don't appeal to me.

I do, however, share one commonality with residents with New Orleans and, for that matter, like 99.9% of humanity. I like shrimp. And as most people know, I like a Happy Hour that that offers a great value. And, if the two are combined, I also dislike driving after experiencing the same.

It is this peculiar mix of circumstances that leads me to Bourbon Street Shrimp time and time again.

Now, I'll admit the place has its certain charms -- attractive and attentive staff, proximity to my apartment, and hearty beverages -- as well as its drawbacks. The food is only OK, the clientele might not be the cream of the cultural crop, and let's face it -- any Cajun-themed place that names itself "Bourbon Street" anything is probably pretty lacking in imagination. Bourbon Street Shrimp on Pico, though, outweighs these drawbacks with one secret weapon -- a great, lengthy Happy Hour just dripping with value.

The Vitals: Simply put, even if you ignore the so-so menu, Bourbon Street Shrimp's Happy Hour is pretty damn great. First, it goes EVERY DAY from 5-8pm. That fact alone puts it head and shoulders above most places. Secondly, it offers "2-for-1" Ketel One, Jack Daniels, and margaritas. Thus, an $8 dollar vodka and soda becomes a stout double. Do the math. It's a good deal. And finally, there's a healthy selection of $4 appetizers, and all entrees are half-priced. Hey, where I come from, half-priced "meh" is better than full-priced "oh, splendid." And frankly, there are some things on the menu that are pretty great. Their tacos, for one, as well as their blackened shrimp both do the trick. And the place stays busy enough to assure me that there food isn't the swill some reviewers on Yelp seem to say it is. Not that I've ever really trusted the Yelp community to give solid reviews, but still. I guess it's just another one of many strikes against Yelp, and another tally in the "yes" column for HappyHourLA. Was it the best food ever at a Happy Hour? No. Was it sufficient to line a certain patron's stomach so he wouldn't get too...happy off the 2-for-1 specials? Again, no. But was it a good Happy Hour? Absolutely yes.

Take that, Yelp. You've proven my point yet again -- never, ever trust anyone who actively refers to themselves as a "foodie." That's like calling yourself a "hipster." And honestly, who would do that?

1 comment:

  1. I agree that the tacos are good, the staff charming and the drinks lethal.
    I just wouldn't come here when it isn't happy hour.

    ReplyDelete